[EM] Notes on a few Later-no-harm methods

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat May 14 01:33:07 PDT 2022

Just a quick reply. I'm not much familiar with notation.

Binomial stv is a statistical count that doesn't apply for very small
numbers. For that, there is non-parametric statistics. There is no hard
and fast rule. I'd say about 32 votes minimum. but that's just a
minimum. There is a law of large numbers for better approximations.

I forget the meaning of truncated, kindly explained to me. If you mean
what happens with abstentions, they are counted towards the quota for a
vacancy.

With regard to equal preferences, my position is one of both principle
and expediency. They are counted by the multinomial theorem. But to me
that is an "illection" count, a choosing-in of candidates, not a
choosing-out or election.

I recognise there is probably a place for illection, but not necessariy
in an election. That is for future studies -- not by me.

If a voter is really stuck between two candidates, he or she can toss a
coin for it, and there will be no over-all bias.

At least in elections, I think bringing in a multinomial multitude of
possibilities into an election is an astronomical distraction from the
purpose of electing.

I would like to see the consequences in practise of large electorates
limited use of their preferences.

Regards,

Richard Lung.