[EM] Notes on a few Later-no-harm methods

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Thu May 12 14:48:22 PDT 2022

On 12.05.2022 21:27, Richard Lung wrote:

> On 12/05/2022 20:12, Richard Lung wrote:
>>
>> K.M.
>>
>> I don't recognise this description of Binomial STV. Which is based on
>> keep values, which is as much to say it is not never no-how based
>> solely on first preferences and last preferences. (Even in
>> single-winner elections.

That's no problem, as it's not really relevant to my question :-) Let me
rephrase.

Some time ago, you gave examples of how to call a single-winner Binomial
STV election. In those examples, everybody voted according to their full
preferences. What I'm wondering is how the calculations (of exclude and
keep values) are done when the ballots are truncated early, or when
voters equal-rank some of the candidates.

So, taking for instance, this single-winner election:

>>> 3: A>B>C
>>> 5: A>C
>>> 13: C

How would Binomial STV determine the winner? And what are the
candidates' keep and exclude values?

And similarly, for the election

>>> 3: A=B>C
>>> 5: B=C>A
>>> 13: C=A>B

What are the candidates' keep and exclude values, and who wins in
single-winner Binomial STV?

-km