[EM] Definitions of "completion method" and "aggregate method"

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed May 4 00:30:11 PDT 2022

I thought a "completion method" is what we revert to if there is no Condorcet winner to elect.  Methods like Schulze and Ranked Pairs or Bottom Two Runoff don't need completion methods because the are decisive, they elect someone whether there's a Condorcet winner or not, but they always elect the Condorcet winner when such exists.Powered by Cricket Wireless------ Original message------From: Rob LanphierDate: Wed, May 4, 2022 3:16 AMTo: election-methods at lists.electorama.com;Cc: Subject:[EM] Definitions of "completion method" and "aggregate method"Hi folks,

There are two new articles on electowiki that may not make sense to
those of you who are are intimately familiar with election-methods
jargon:

"aggregate method":
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Aggregate_method

"completion method"
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Completion_method

An "aggregate method" is jargon I made up to describe the methods that
we've been describing all along on this mailing list (e.g. the
"Smith//Condorcet" method was popular on the EM list[1]).

[1]: http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/1996-August/065995.html

What I mean by "aggregate method" is a method where a series of
methods (Copeland, Smith, etc) are chained together. Then the "winner"
(or "winners") pop out at the end of the chain.

What I mean by "completion method" is the method at the end of the
chain in an "aggregate method".

Am I using those terms the way that people who make a living
researching/studying this stuff use those terms?  I don't want to
redefine terms, but if no one agrees on what "completion method" means
(or has a really sloppy definition of it, or just uses the term
without knowing what it means to sound smart), then I don't feel bad
about redefining the term.  Regardless, I would really appreciate some
help coming up with good definitions.

Thanks
Rob
----