[EM] Definitions of "completion method" and "aggregate method"

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Wed May 4 00:05:13 PDT 2022

Hi folks,

There are two new articles on electowiki that may not make sense to
those of you who are are intimately familiar with election-methods
jargon:

"aggregate method":
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Aggregate_method

"completion method"
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Completion_method

An "aggregate method" is jargon I made up to describe the methods that
we've been describing all along on this mailing list (e.g. the
"Smith//Condorcet" method was popular on the EM list[1]).

[1]: http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/1996-August/065995.html

What I mean by "aggregate method" is a method where a series of
methods (Copeland, Smith, etc) are chained together. Then the "winner"
(or "winners") pop out at the end of the chain.

What I mean by "completion method" is the method at the end of the
chain in an "aggregate method".

Am I using those terms the way that people who make a living
researching/studying this stuff use those terms?  I don't want to
redefine terms, but if no one agrees on what "completion method" means
(or has a really sloppy definition of it, or just uses the term
without knowing what it means to sound smart), then I don't feel bad
about redefining the term.  Regardless, I would really appreciate some
help coming up with good definitions.

Thanks
Rob