[EM] De-Cloned Kendall-tau Example

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 00:00:12 PST 2022

El lun., 7 de mar. de 2022 9:22 p. m., Forest Simmons <
forest.simmons21 at gmail.com> escribió:

> I appreciate very much Kevin Venzke's recent tour de force towards
> classification of methods by their criteria compliances ... finding seven
> 3-candidate, 4-faction profiles that distinguish all of the well known
> methods by their basic compliances.
>
> I see this as an opportunity to put the de-cloned Kendall-tau metric
> through its paces.
>
> First a simple example with factions suitable for hand computation:
>
> 4ABC3+3BCA+2CAB
>
> We need favorite and anti-favorite counts for the de-cloning:
>
> The respective favorite counts f, are 4, 3, and 2. The respective a
> anti-favorite counts f', are 3, 2, and 4.
>
> The respective costs of the basic decloned order swaps are ...
> AB to BA 4×2 from f(A)×f'(B)
> BA to AB 3×3 from f(B)×f'(A)
> BC to CB 3×4 from f(B)×f'(C)
> CB to BC 2×2 from f(C)×f'(B)
> CA to AC 2×3 from f(C)× f'(A)
> AC to CA 4×4 from f(A)×f'(C)
>
> The respective costs from faction ...
> ABC to BCA 8+16
> BCA to ABC 6+9
> [Round trip 39]
> BCA to CAB 12+9
> CAB to BCA 8+4
> [Round trip 33]
> CAB to ABC 6+4
> ABC to CAB 12+16
> [Round trip 38]

At this point we can insert the respective decloned Kemeny-Young costs:

Converting all ballots to ABC:
3×15+2×10=65
Converting all ballots to BCA:
4×24+2×12=120
Converting all ballots to CAB:
4×28+3×21=175

So the de-cloned K-Y finish order is ABC, the same as clone dependent K-Y
... not particularly interesting.

This method ignores the preference information implicit in the geometrc
proximities ... blissfully taking the ballot preferences at face value
despite the geometric evidence to the contrary.

So the distant pair removal method is a more interesting application of
de-cloned Kendall-tau.