[EM] Fwd: “Monotonic” Binomial STV

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Fri Mar 4 13:47:51 PST 2022

Yes, Kristofer,

the standard statistical test, I use, is a “hypothesis”. Elections are
hypotheses ( - they are not absolutely determined). This is the song I
have been chirruping all along: All elections are a statistic or
statistical distribution. And their representation is no better than a
good estimate. (This is in keeping with the theorem of the Impossibility
of determinate election results.)

At least, binomial STV knows it is a statistic. It is an explicitly
statistical method. I even had cause to invent a statistical quota: the
harmonic mean quota. This is one of the four averages of FAB STV.

So, it is quite reasonable to use a statistical test to verify (highly
probably) the achievement of a quota.

I do not know whether that would be required, in practise.

Regards,

Richard Lung.