[EM] Method Definition Considerations

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 13:17:37 PDT 2022

Reminds me of the professor who decided to mend his ways when a student
complained about not enough writing on the board for students taking notes.
At the end of a long explanation of quadratic reciprocity, remembering his
promise of more detailed notes, he says, "... which is as easy as one plus
one equals two," ... and then writes 1+1=2 on the black board.

For fpA-sumfpC ... I would have to say it came out of an attempt to
de-clone Copeland, where the fpA term was found empirically to restore
momotonicity to an educated guess that didn't quite work.... or something
like that. Not very inspiring to the students.

When we're lucky, once we get the right formula, we can see a shortcut to
it that would have saved us tons of time and agony if only we had seen it
earlier.

We cannot blame the students for not appreciating the shortcuts.

It reminds me of sci-fi stories about infrastructure that starts crumbling
centuries after all its engineers have died off.

Patience!