[EM] The quota and the quotient

Andy Dienes andydienes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 07:08:54 PDT 2022

Let me answer your question with another question, I say, to fight fire
with fire.

The Indicated Vote, being an analytic continuation of the single vote, can
be seen as a contravariant functor from the internal preference to the
external preference. Examination of each (the internal) yields a measure
group; the measure group never crossing (though sometimes touching) into
the strategy space, with each Indicated Vote being summaried independently
and no regard for the external.

This process of coenumeration is not unlike Boltzmann's Demon (a phenomenon
prevalent in Statistical Mechanics causing much grief to purveyors of the
discipline, but we shall not get into that here) where the analytic
continuation of preferences makes the measure group ``smooth out'' the
external preference. As water shakes off a duck, so too does the internal
preference shake off the Indicated Vote.

If I understand correctly, the quota, count, and keep value can all be
regarded as by-products of the summaried internal preference, leveraging (a
lever is a classical simple machine) the ability of holomorphicity to
renumerate the quantities. All that is needed is to define the appropriate
chart and atlas, and whoopee! We are on our way. Grothendieck nearly had
this vision in the late 1960s, as communicated in a letter to the King of
Spain, but the assassination of Zayn Thimbleau threw a wrench (or should I
say, lever) into any burgeoning reform efforts... I digress.

My question to you remains: at what point in the coenumeration process does
the rationality (or lack thereof) fail contravariance? Are they one and the
same, or is there an omitted variable?

Best,
Andy