[EM] Making any method DH3-proof

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Jul 25 03:26:12 PDT 2022

As either I or Forest once mentioned, his honest runoff mechanism
prevents the election of an honest Condorcet loser.

It can therefore be used to stop any method from electing an universally
despised dark horse if the runoff candidates are picked in such a way
that at least one of them cannot be the/a dark horse.

So here's a proof of concept:

Let the voters rank the candidates twice. One of these rankings is
marked "honest" and will only be used to resolve a runoff. On the other
(say the one marked "ordinary"), they may strategize as much as they desire.

Choose, for the virtual runoff, the winner of some base method using the
O (ordinary) ballots, and the Plurality (or IRV) winner using the same
ballots. If this elects the same candidate, pick the second place
Plurality (or IRV, etc) finisher as the other finalist, instead.

Finally, elect the one that beats the other pairwise according to the H
ballots.

Now, an objection of mine is that this kind of ballot format may seem
ridiculous or bizarre. "Why do I have to fill in my ballot twice? And
how do I know that I can be honest on the H ballot?". If so, just do an
ordinary runoff instead of using Forest's virtual runoff. (Sophisticated
game theory arguments don't help if the voters don't believe them.)

If that ordinary runoff has a debate period where the voters can more
thoroughly scrutinize the candidates (through the media), then it would
also help distinguish weak centrists from strong winners, if that's
deemed to be a problem with the base method. (E.g. people who don't like
Condorcet often say its problem is that it elects weak candidates too
often.)

So in short: if you use a Forest or real runoff between the winner of
any method and the highest placed different winner of a method that
isn't susceptible to DH3, then the combined method isn't either.

-km