[EM] Spatial models of voting

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Jan 31 10:12:01 PST 2022

Spatial models of voting

A few decades ago, I came across a spatial model voting, which was only
in terms of the spatial positions of spot votes or single preference
votes. It was essentially a strategy game, calculating what was the best
spatial position for a candidate to occupy in order to win. Anyway,
that’s how I remember it, all this time ago, now that I’m reminded of it
by erudite mathematical and computational discussions around me.

Then I also remembered that I have actually done an electoral model of
physical space-time – the Minkowski Interval (in my free Smashwords
e-book: Statistical Relativity Elections.)

It draws on my previous e-book, FAB STV: Four Averages Binomial Single
Transferable Vote.

To make this analogy work, you have to have a two-dimensional version of
Binomial STV. That means a complex number count. One vote is for your
individual representative. The other vote is for the best arbiter for
the community. The arbiter is a neutral, not an identity or a polar
opposite, and is thus physically represented at right angles to the
representative axis. The two axes, of representation and arbitration,
are each exactly the same as one-dimensional binomial STV. But a
two-dimensional plane, of individual and community representation,
requires a complex number count.

Regards,

Richard Lung.