[EM] What is canonical Bucklin voting?

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 00:07:50 PST 2022

Currently, the most popular Bucklin variants are versions of Majority
Judgment, and rightly so in my opinion.

For awhile on this list we've neglected MJ  because we have been
concentrating on RCV methods, i.e. Universal Domain methods to show that
IRV/STV is not the only or necessarly best RCV method.

This week we have expanded beyond UD/RCV to include  Score style ballots
...perhaps time to once again discuss methods, like MJ, that take
Grade/Judgment ballot information seriously ... as commonly understood
community wide standard categories, not just relative preferences, but not
treated as additive Cardinal Ratings or numerical utilities either ... a
common sense middle ground between ordinal and cardinal judgments of
candidates/alternatives.

We have seen both ranked choice and score based versions of Bucklin in the
past, but qualitative judgment categories seem to be the most natural
domain.