[EM] Exact spatial model probabilities?

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 12:10:27 PST 2022

To paraphrase Dickens ... they were the good old days ... and the bad old
days!

Daniel's idea reminds me of Robert  B-J's comment about Heaviside and
Dirac  functions. Dirac unit impulse functions are approximated by
Gaussians with infinitesimal variance in the Theory of Distributions. And
every Probability distribution is a convolution of itself with a Dirac
delta ... which is useful because Laplace transforms turn convolution
products into algebraic products.

Electrical engineers are used to approximating all kinds of input signals
with sums of standard functions ... impulse, step, ramp, sinusoids,
Gaussians, that have well known Laplace and Fourier Transforms.

How useful it is to be able to go back and forth between the time and
frequency domains! Even in quantum mechanics ... the more compact the
support of a wave function, the more spread out its Fourier transform, and
vice-versa. That's the wave mechanical basis of the uncertainty principle.

A convenient way to get the mean, variance, and higher moments of a
probability distribution (think voter distribution) is by finding the
Taylor/MacLauren coefficients of the Laplace or Fourier transforms of the
distribution functions.

[Fourier and Laplace transforms differ by a 90 degree rotation in the
complex frequency domain.So what I say for one also goes for the other
without needing to mention it every time.]

My wife needs the phone ... more later..