[EM] Coombs method and typical RCV hybrid

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 22:17:48 PST 2022

El lun., 24 de ene. de 2022 3:53 p. m., <culitif at tuta.io> escribió:

> Hey Forest,
>
> Thanks so much for the feedback and the kind welcome! That certainly is a
> lot to digest, but I did find your definition of it really helpful. I've
> been kinda busy recently, but I'd definitely love to take a crack at
> coding/implementing and visualizing the system at some point in the near
> future!
>
> Would a system that uses the implicit fractional approval score really be
> equal to a system that takes the first and last place votes for each
> candidate?

Let F(X), L(X), and MR(X), respectively, be the number of ballots on which
X is voted First, Last, or Middle Ranks, me respectively.

Then the total number of ballots is the number T = F(X)+L(X)+MR(X), so your
score CULI(X)=F(X)-L(X).

 Now substitute the RHS of these two equations  into the expression

CULI(X)+T,
and simplify the result:

(F(X)-L(X)) +(F(X)+L(X)+MR(X))

= 2F(X) +MR(X)

Now divide both sides by two:

(CULI(X)+T)/2=(2F(X)+MR(X))/2

.5*CULI(X) +.5*T = F(X)+.5*MR(X)

So multiplying your score CULI(X) by a positive constant (.5) and adding
another constant (.5*T) yields the fractional approval score that most
people prefer, because it eliminates negative scores that bother some
people.

All of this is based on two facts

1. x>y if and only if x+c> y+c

and

2. p>q if and only if r*p>r*q,
for any positive r.

Put these together and you have

rt+k>rv+I  if and only if t>v
(povided r is positive)

"Positive affine transformations preserve order."