[EM] Coombs method and typical RCV hybrid, River

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 21:35:34 PST 2022

El sáb., 22 de ene. de 2022 6:28 p. m., Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at gmail.com>
escribió:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 5:13 PM Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> To me at least the principle of Schulze is intuitive. It's sort of a
>> de-cloning
>> of MinMax.
>>

> The term "de-cloning of MinMax" doesn't clarify it for me; I honestly
> don't understand what that would look like. Schulze might be intuitive if
> you are a computer scientist; I know that its algorithm is something
> similar to something that computer scientists learn. I am not a computer
> scientist; I'm a physicist. I find Schulze simply bewildering. I couldn't
> tell you right now how it works without thinking really hard about it, and
> I'm not confident I would get it right. I tried to explain it once to my
> wife (who is a microsystems engineer) and she looked like a deer on
> headlights. And that's someone who is used to me explaining voting methods.

Mike Ossipoff once reported explaining Schulze to the complete satisfaction
of his non-technical girlfriend, by using an equivalent, but more
intuitive, "beatpath" formulation of Schulze:

A beatpath is a chain of defeats leading from one candidate to another. A
chain is no stronger than its weakest link.

We say that X strongly beats Y when  X has a stronger beatpath to Y than
Y's strongest beatpath to X.

Elect the candidate that strongly beats every other candidate.

[The existence of such a candidate follows from the transitivity of the
"strongly beats" relation. No need to bring this up unless your friend asks
how you know that such a candidate exists.]