[EM] My Recent New Methods Summary with Corrections

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:01:09 PST 2022

We start with Kemeny-Young:

The cost of replacing a rank order R with a new rank order R' is the sum of
the costs of all of the (non-gratuitous) transpositions (or half
transpositions when equal rankings and truncations are allowed) necessary
to effect the change.

The cost of convertng X<Y to X>Y is given by f*(X)f(Y), while the cost of
converting X>Y to X<Y is f*(Y)f(X).

Think of the original order as a ballot order and the final order as a
"social order." The cost represents the disappointment of the voter when
her will is contradicted.

More generally, if H is a set of equal ranked candidates, and K is another
such set, then the cost of raising H from below K to above K is

Sum(over h in H, and k in K)of f*(h)f(k)

Furthermore, half of that cost is from raising H to the level of K, and the
other half is from finishing the move.

Let c(R) be the total cost of converting (one by one) each of the ballots
to the order R.

The winning social order is argmin(c(R)).

Next is de-cloned Copeland ...

El mar., 18 de ene. de 2022 5:57 p. m., Forest Simmons <
forest.simmons21 at gmail.com> escribió:

> [...]
>> decades ago, disappointly turned out to be non-monotonic, as did the more
>> advanced Rivest method that incorporated pairwise defeat scores into the
>> payoff matrix.
>>
>> It seems that the problem was the same basic problem we faced when trying
>> to preserve monotonicity while de-cloning Kemeny-Young, Borda, and Copeland.
>>
>> Our recent (last week) breakthrough in that context is the impetus for
>> this Loggerhead method.
>>
>> One way of looking at the breakthrough is this: making a clear
>> distinction between passive lack of approval and active disapproval allows
>> us to de-couple mono-raising of one candidate from lowering (mono or
>> otherwise) of another candidate.
>>
>> In our original unsuccessful versions we did not distinguish the role of
>> F from the role of R.  There we just used "lack of F" as a proxy for R.
>>
>> Fixing that crucial defect not only made monotonicity possible, but also,
>> as a pleasant surprise,  made possible the strong reverse symmetry enjoyed
>> by all of these new methods.
>>
>> Some people resist lotteries as legitimate election methods, but if, as
>> we have been assured by our RCV friends the 440 real life elections they
>> analyzed all enjoyed Condorcet Winners, irrespective of employing a
>> non-Condorcet compliant method ... almost all of these lotteries will be
>> zero entropy lotteries ... the possibility of chance serving only as a
>> deterrent to insincere rankings.
>>
>> And suppose that a sincere rock, paper, scissors cycle should exist....
>> it is comforting to know that the support of the winning lottery is always
>> a subset of the Dutta Set, a kind of special subset of the better known
>> Banks, Landau, and Smith sets.
>>
>> It has often been suggested that in the absence of a sincere CW, the best
>> thing might be to choose randomly from the Smith Set.  Well, that's
>> precisely what this Loggerheads method does ... and with probabilities
>> calculated to make sincere voting optimal.
>>
>> We'll continue when I get some more free time.
>>
>> In the mean time, somebody in contact with James Green-Armytage could
>> help by passing this message along to him ... I seem to remember him
>> expressing interest in the Rivest Lottery recently. It would be nice to get
>> him, and others with a game theoretic bent, thinking along these lines.
>>
>> Forest
>>
>> El lun., 17 de ene. de 2022 12:17 a. m., Forest Simmons <
>> forest.simmons21 at gmail.com> escribió:
>>
>>> I would like to propose this Rivest-like two-player, zero-sum game
>>> related to the de-cloned versions of Kemeny-Young, Borda, and Copeland that
>>> I recently posted.
>>>
>>> For each candidate k, let F(k) be the random ballot Favorite probability
>>> of candidate k, and let R(k) be the random ballot favorite of candidate k
>>> on the Reversed ballots.
>>>
>>> Let P be the payoff matrix for the row player defined as follows:
>>>
>>> P(i, j) is F(j) if candidate i pairwise defeats j.
>>> P(i, j) is -R(i) if candidate i is pairwise defeated by j.