[EM] My Recent New Methods Summary with Corrections

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:57:33 PST 2022

Since all of these new methods depend (by default) on the benchmark lottery
f and its reverse counterpart f*, we begin by defining these probability
densities.

The context is a set beta of (voted) ranked choice ballots.

For each candidate X, let f(X) be the probability that the random ballot
favorite candidate is X.  A thought experiment defines this probability: if
a randomly drawn ballot has more than one contender for favorite,
additional ballots are drawn sequentially to narrow down to a single
favorite. The probability that X is the resulting favorite is the value of
f(X).

Similarly, f*(X) is the random ballot anti-favorite probability for X. if a
ballot randomly drawn from beta has more than one contender for
anti-favorite, additional ballots are drawn sequentially to narrow down to
a single anti-favorite. The probability that X is the resulting
anti-favorite is the value of f*(X).

Note that if the ballot rankings are all reversed f and f* swap places.

The salient (i.e. sufficient for what follows) properties of f and f* in
this context are ...
1. They are both probability density functions on the set of candidates.
2. If X (and only X) is raised on one or more ballots, then ...
 f(X) does not decrease, nor does f*(X) increase
AND
for Y not equal to X, f(Y) does not increase nor does f*(Y) decrease.
3. If X (and only X) decreases on one or more ballots, then ...
f(X) does not increase, nor does f*(X) decrease
AND
for Y not equal to X,  f(Y) does not decrease, nor does f*(Y) increase.
4. Both f a d f* respect clone sets, which means (in the case of f), if
candidate X is replaced by a clone set chi, then
f(X)=Sum(over x in chi) of f(x).
5. The procedure that yields f when applied to the ballot set beta, yields
f* when applied to the reversed ballot set beta*.
[Condition 5 is not essential, except for the strong reverse symmetry
property.]

Now that we are all set up, we can define the four methods ... de-cloned
Kemeny-Young, de-cloned Borda, de-cloned Copeland, and the Loggerheads
Condorcet Lottery.

I'm going to break here to save what we have so far ...