[EM] Manual Construction of Smith Set

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Sat Jan 15 12:50:14 PST 2022

Thank you Ted!  And Kristofer and Forest!

I'm seeing that the secondary hand-written signs -- that show the win
counts -- are not needed.

Instead, each person who represents a candidate holds all the
hand-written pairwise win signs for which that candidate wins. The other
name on the sign indicates who lost that pairwise comparison.

As Forest suggests, it would be easy for the "candidates" to sort
themselves according to how many signs they are holding.

Then, as Ted suggests:

 > The one with the fewest defeats (the Copeland winner) moves to the right
 > of the line. If there is a tie, all tied candidates move right.
 >
 > The candidate(s) on the right is (are) asked, "Which candidates on the
 > left side of the line defeated you?" And as they are named, they come to
 > the right of the line.
 >
 > Each new right-side candidate is asked the same question, and any
 > left-side candidates named come to the right side.
 >
 > When none of the candidates on the right can name any other candidates
 > on the left who have defeated them, the Smith set is complete.

That makes sense.

Yet I believe that lots of audience members would give more trust to a
method that eliminates candidates one at a time. This is the simplicity
advantage that instant-runoff voting (IRV) has. In contrast, starting
with the Copeland winner might seem like magic to people who fear math.

Would eliminating from the bottom always work?

In the Wikipedia example below, it does work. It identifies B and E as
outside the Smith set, so the remaining candidates are in the Smith set.

5 wins for A

5 wins for D

4 wins for G

3.5 wins for C

2.5 wins for F

1 win for B

0 wins for E

(Half indicates a tie.)

So, my question is: Does elimination from the bottom always work?

My guess is the answer is yes.

Again, thank you for your help!

Richard Fobes