[EM] Manual Construction of Smith Set

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 15:02:14 PST 2022

(re-sent as Reply to All)

Hi Kristofer,

There's a slightly easier way.

Each candidate is asked "How many other candidates defeat you?"

The one with the fewest defeats (the Copeland winner) moves to the right of
the line. If there is a tie, all tied candidates move right.

The candidate(s) on the right is (are) asked, "Which candidates on the left
side of the line defeated you?" And as they are named, they come to the
right of the line.

Each new right-side candidate is asked the same question, and any left-side
candidates named come to the right side.

When none of the candidates on the right can name any other candidates on
the left who have defeated them, the Smith set is complete.