[EM] Manual Construction of Smith Set

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 12:31:51 PST 2022

See a slight correction in the first method, below ...

Also, once you have Smith, the TopTwoRunoff is no longer necessary; just
elect the  Smith candidate ranked on the most ballots.

If you wanted to go the extra mile so as to have a burial resistant method,
Elect the candidate ranked on the most ballots that is not defeated
pairwise by the Smith candidate ranked on the fewest ballots.

-Forest

El sáb., 8 de ene. de 2022 7:01 p. m., Forest Simmons <
forest.simmons21 at gmail.com> escribió:

> Richard,
>
> Here are two hand count methods for constructing the Smith set (off the
> top of my head):
>
> Method 1:
>
> List the candidates in any convenient order. Then sort the list pairwise.
> The Smith set consists of all of the candidates in the sorted list above
> some cutoff level.
>
> Usually that cutoff level can be quickly found by "inspection." But here's
> a systematic procedure.
>
> Start with the tentative cutoff just below the candidate at the top of the
> sorted list. Then ..
> While there remains any candidate with questionable Smith status,  let C
> be the highest such candidate. If C pairwise defeats a candidate above the
> current cutoff, then lower the cutoff to the position immediately below C.
> Else mark C as "non-Smith".

Change this designation to "not a Smith set cutoff candidate"

EndWhile