[EM] Quick and Clean Burial Resistant Smith

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 19:01:46 PST 2022

Richard,

Here are two hand count methods for constructing the Smith set (off the top
of my head):

Method 1:

List the candidates in any convenient order. Then sort the list pairwise.
The Smith set consists of all of the candidates in the sorted list above
some cutoff level.

Usually that cutoff level can be quickly found by "inspection." But here's
a systematic procedure.

Start with the tentative cutoff just below the candidate at the top of the
sorted list. Then ..
While there remains any candidate with questionable Smith status,  let C be
the highest such candidate. If C pairwise defeats a candidate above the
current cutoff, then lower the cutoff to the position immediately below C.
Else mark C as "non-Smith".
EndWhile

Method 2:

Borrow a handheld calculator having matrix multiplication capability.
Initialize an n×n matrix (where n is the number of candidates) with all
ones, including the main diagonal.

For each (i, j) combination where i  and j are not equal, if candidate i
does not defeat candidate j pairwise, then zero out the j_th element of the
i_th row.

Now square this matrix repeatedly until the number of zero entries
stabilizes.

[This will take fewer than ceiling(log(n)/log(2)) squarings. So for 1000
candidates, fewer than ten squarings.]

The rows that end up with all positive entries are the Smith candidate
rows. Rows with one or more zero entries correspond to non-Smith candidates.

If you are doing this by hand, you can speed this up drastically by
replacing the sums of products that define matrix multiplication with "sups
of infs":

For squaring the matrix M, replace the (i,k) entry of M^2  given by the sum
of products

Sum (over j) of m(i,j)*m(j,k)

with the max of mins

Max(over j) of Min(m(i,j), m(j,k))

This limits all entries to zeros and ones, making the computations trivial
(though still tedious in the case of hundreds of candidates). It gets
faster with practice... the limit to your speed is how fast you can write
zeros and ones into n×n arrays.

It's kind of fun once you get the hang of it ... you haven't really lived
without having mastered this technique!