[EM] "we only get one shot" (Re: RCV Challenge)

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 06:01:54 PST 2022

Top two runoff may be an improvement over FPTP, but it has very little to commend it.

And I am surprised anyone should quote France as a shining example.  Take a look at the results of the Presidential election in 2002, when the top two candidates (both right wing) had a total of only 36.74% of the first round votes because the larger (majority) left wing vote was split across a diversity of candidates who were all excluded from the second round.

So the majority of voters were not represented by a candidate of their choice.

James Gilmour