[EM] “Monotonic” Binomial STV

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 17:30:48 PST 2022

Richard,

Here's an example of monotonicity failure in conventional single winner STV
as I understand it:

Original profile of ballots:

35 A>B>C
33 B>C>A
32 C>A>B

C eliminated and A wins.

New profile: two members of B faction defect to A faction:

37 A>B>C
31 B>C>A
32 C>A>B

Now B is eliminated and C wins.

How does Binomial STV avoid this monotonicity failure?

Thanks!

-Forest