[EM] STV question (was: re: Hare clustering)

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 23:29:27 PST 2022

El jue., 10 de feb. de 2022 1:23 a. m., Colin Champion
<colin.champion at routemaster.app> escribió:

> Kristofer posted some thoughts about Hare-clustered multi-member PR
> which I don't understand.
>
> Would I be right in thinking that the aim of multi-member PR, under a
> spatial model, is to elect a set of candidates for a constituency such
> that the average distance from a voter to the nearest candidate is
> minimised?

I thing tour variational principle is on the right track... it generalizes
the median  voter idea as the one whose average distance to the other
voters is minimized.

But the objective function needs to put more pressure on equalizing the
size of the constituencies of the respective representatives.

To that end I suggest electing the slate of candidates that minimizes the
following quotient...

The average distance of the constituents to their representatives...

Divided by

The geometric mean of the cardinalities of the respective constituencies.

In this case, does it not follow that two candidates who are