[EM] Favorite Betrayal and Condorcet, and LNHarm

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 10:36:41 PDT 2022

Suppose a method has a runoff between the MMPO winner X and the and DMC
winner Y.

If the runoff is by a separate trip to the polls, then the runoff votes
will all be sincere.

Now suppose instead, that the runoff is instant, but by a separate set of
ballots submitted simultaneously with the other ballots (the ones that
determined X and Y) ... and that this second (or third) set was expressly
limited for use in the runoff (for the case of distinct X and Y).

If the rational voters both understood and trusted this process, wouldn't
the runoff set be sincere?

Wouldn't the method as a whole be considered to satisfy the Plurality
Criterion ... even if the MMPO winner X beat Y on the runoff ballots, and Y
had more first place votes than X had above bottom votes on the original
ballots ... the strategic ballots that got X and Y into the finals?

Would the method as a whole be considered to satisfy the FBC?

Would the method as a whole satisfy the Condorcet Criterion even though it
is possible that neither X nor Y was the sincere CW even when there was one?

Would the method as a whole be considered UD compliant?

An if not, should that disqualify the method from adoption?

Is this instant runoff method (unlike IRV) efficiently precinct summable?
(Yes!)

-Forest