[EM] So I got an email... / IIA

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Apr 11 17:27:17 PDT 2022

Thanks.  I did remember the article talking about the Condorcet paradox and that you can put in another method in case of a cycle.  I didn't remember that they were pushing a specific method.

I don't like the semantics in the article:
"true majority rule" = Condorcet RCV
"rank-order voting" = Borda count RCV
but maybe the semantics were different in 2004.  I relate that timing to Burlington voting to adopt IRV in 2005, elections in 2006 and 2009, repeal in 2010.  Sometime after that, "IRV" sorta lost cachet and FairVote seemed to ditch it and relabel the product "RCV" which bothers me.  I think the words "Borda" or "Bucklin" or "Hare" or "Condorcet" should precede the term "RCV".

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.
.
.