[EM] Ranked Rankings (wasStrategic vs Dishonest)

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 18:48:01 PDT 2021

Ballots are ordinal rankings with equal rankings, truncations, and relative
strength of rankings enabled.

intensity of the preferences ...
the preference A>B is not as intense as C>>D, for example.  Is it supposed
to be half as intense? No, just less intense.

Does B>>>>C on one ballot mean more than B>>C on another ballot? No, the
intensity comparisons have meaning only within ballots.

Here's an example of a method that makes use of this kind of information:

Let X and Y be the two candidates that (for the greatest number of ballots)
find themselves on opposite sides of a preference when only the max
intensity preferences of each ballot are not suppressed.

Then let BX and BY be the respective subsets of ballots that prefer X over
Y and vice-versa.

Elect the head-to-head preferred between the respective outcomes of the
method applied recursively to BX and BY.

I'm sure you can think of better versions of this basic idea!