[EM] Does anyone know who this person is?

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 18:31:00 PDT 2021

I prefer Ted Stern's version of Approval Sorted Margins over any other
single-winner public proposal I've seen lately, other than simple asset
voting as proposed by Charles Dodgson in the 19th century, and more
recently a symmetrical version of Majority Judgment currently in the works
if it can be simplified adequately w/o sacrificing its integrity.

Ted's version of ASM uses a version of what we used to call "3-slot
approval" to seed the  finish order which is then sorted pairwise with
pairs that show the least discrepancy in their 3-slot scores getting
priority for pairwise rectification. It is important to note that the
ordinal information is inferred from six slots, twice as many as those used
for the cardinal seeding.

This is valuable for several (including psychological) reasons. One is that
3-slots are not enough for the ordinal information to fully distinguish the
pairwise preferences important to the voters. But increasing the score
slots (as in STAR) is not the answer, for several reasons ... STAR voters
aware of optimal approval strategy (vote only at the extremes) would feel
too much tension between the need to make use of the intermediate score
levels for ordinal information and the need to avoid those levels for
optimal cardinal strategy.

But for non-perfect information elections, even sophisticated approval
voters might welcome a middle slot.

I like three slots because, personally I would reserve the top and bottom
slots for definite approvals and disapproval, respectively.  [Bottom also
takes care of blank or no opinion to obviate darkhorse candidates].

How do you know if you "definitely" approve or disapprove of a candidate?

Easy ...  if you don't know that you do, then you don't. If you are not
sure, or if you have to ask, then your approval or disapproval is
definitely not definite.

So it's easy to know how to vote honestly under that rule, which should be
part of the instructions to the voters.

People who think they can out wit the devil may be tempted to vote
dishonestly, but at least they have the option of voting honestly if those
"definite instructions" are the official instructions.

So Ted Stern's version of ASM is one of the best possible public proposals
IMHO.

However personally, I would rather have it implemented in the format of a
Ranked Ranking ballot, so that the voter has more freedom in defining the
cutoffs demarcating the three slots, and making more ordinal distinctions
within the three approval levels if needed to distinguish among clones in a
large election:

A>B1>B2>C>>U>V>W1>W2>W3>>X>Y>Z...

BORDA is quoted as saying that his method was only intended for "honest
men." But honestly would not fix the greater design flaw ... clone
dependence ... in particular, clone loser.  Cardinal Ratings is a partial
solution ... with all of the caveats expressed in Kristofer's reservations.

A solution nearer to the spirit of Borda would be a point system based on
Ranked Rankings.

Borda can be thought of as a way of converting rankings into a score/point
system ... sacrificing clone dependence.

A minimal tweak of Borda (to restore clone independence) would be to base a
point system on Ranked Rankings ... with weaker rankings reflected in
smaller point/score gaps.

This idea is not my favorite way of using Ranked Rankings ... but it may
help some people to see the value of a different kind of ordinal ballot ...
more expressive than ordinary rankings without the strategic and
psychological burden (including cognitive dissonance) of the (obviously
exaggerated) implied numerical precision of ratings.