[EM] Most important/used election methods?

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Oct 14 21:42:51 PDT 2021

In the Wikipedia article about the Minimax method, the section titled
"Satisfied and failed criteria" indicates that the "winning votes" and
"margins" versions are Condorcet compliant, but the "pairwise
opposition" version is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimax_Condorcet_method#Satisfied_and_failed_criteria

Specifically it says:
"When the pairwise opposition variant is used, minimax also does not
satisfy the Condorcet criterion."

That seems to conflict with what Kristofer is saying here:

On 10/14/2021 2:40 PM, Forest Simmons wrote:
 > I'm quite sure he is referring to MinMaxPairwiseOpposition MMPO, which
 > is very closely related to MinMax(losing votes) but not the same.

So yes, MMPO -- assuming that acronym only refers to Minimax using
pairwise opposition -- is the method I was referring to.

My point was that although it does not fit the official category of
"most of the Condorcet methods" (according to Wikipedia), I would expect
that most of the people who signed the "Declaration of Election-Method
Reform Advocates" would regard that method as also worth considering for
adoption.

I mentioned the method because the first steps toward adopting better
methods in governmental elections require simplicity, and the pairwise
opposition version is easier to explain (and easier to calculate) for
non-math-savvy folks.

For clarification, I'm more of a fan of using pairwise vote counting
than I am insistent that the method must be Condorcet compliant. In
particular, I would advocate Minimax with pairwise opposition more
strongly than IRV-BTR (IRV with bottom two runoff) even though the
latter is Condorcet compliant.

Richard Fobes