[EM] In defence of IRV

Jan Šimbera simbera.jan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 12:49:22 PST 2021

> Second, complete proportional representation is not that bad, either, if
> managed properly; and doesn't have to lead to gridlock.
> (...)
> As I tend to say, the major difference between PR and two-party is that
> in PR countries, the voters show their support for the factions and then
> these factions negotiate. In two-party systems, the factions negotiate
> (within their respective parties), and *then* the voters show their
> support. There's no reason the latter should inherently be better than
> the former. Even two-party democracies can get paralyzed if one of the
> parties decides no longer to play by the rules.

As an aside since the debate has broadened considerably anyway:
To me, a Central European, it is still quite strange how little the
American debate on electoral reform focuses on the option of multimember
constituencies (the reform of House elections from single-member
districts to a per-state PR method perhaps being the most obvious
candidate).
The main argument I find for the "first show support, then negotiate"
paradigm is that it gives the votes more expressive power
AND makes the negotiation process more transparent and observable
for the general public.

Jan