[EM] Condorcet-Kemeny clarifications

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Tue Nov 2 21:02:19 PDT 2021

On 10/31/2021 5:04 PM, Forest Simmons wrote:
 > So the intractability issue is mostly an inconvenience ...

I'm pleased that you, unlike many others, realize that the
Condorcet-Kemeny method's long computation time for some possible cases
is just an inconvenience, not a deal breaker.

 > but the clone dependence is a deal breaker ...

I disagree that a non-zero failure rate for clone independence is a
deal-breaker.

The Beatpath (aka Schulze) method achieves a zero failure rate for clone
independence, but I suspect that, as a result, it has a significantly
higher failure rate for IIA -- Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives.

This characteristic would match what happens with IRV -- instant-runoff
voting. It has a zero failure rate for clone independence, but it has a
high failure rate for IIA.

The follow scatter plot shows this pattern:

   https://www.rankedchoiceoregon.org/img/clone_iia_success_rates.jpg

FYI, the upper right corner is where there are zero clone failures and
zero IIA failures. Most of the plotted methods, with the notable
exception of plurality, can correctly handle two-candidate cases.

If the Condorcet-Kemeny method were modified to reduce the failure rate
for clone independence, that would increase its IIA failure rate.

I believe this obviously follows from the fact that Arrow's theorum and
other proofs tell us that no method can have zero failure rates for all
of a set of specific desirable fairness criteria. So it follows that
decreasing the failure rate for one fairness criterion will increase the
failure rate for at least one other fairness criterion.

This is why I've spent time calculating failure rates and plotting them
on a scatter plot. I want to know the failure RATES, not just whether
the failure rate is zero or non-zero.

In my opinion the scatter plot clearly shows that the Condorcet-Kemeny
method has the best compromise for clone independence and IIA.

Specifically, look at the distance of the points from the upper right
corner. The Condorcet-Kemeny points are closer than the other methods.

As a clarification about the data for the STAR method: These
calculations simulate sincere voting -- with no tactical voting -- so
the points for STAR voting are idealized compared to actual elections
where tactical voting would be involved.

In contrast, the Kemeny, IPE (Instant Pairwise Elimination), and RCIPE
(Ranked Choice Including Pairwise Elimination) method are more resistant
to tactical voting compared to STAR voting, so tactical voting would not
increase the failure rates for the same cases.

Since these calculations are based on randomly generated ballots, the
failure rates in real elections would be lower than this data measures.
That's because most real elections have clearer patterns regarding
popularity of candidates. So these simulations are like stress tests
that look at performance under challenging cases.

So, I disagree that "clone dependence is a deal breaker." Yes, clone
independence is very important, but so is IIA.

In fact, the failure of IRV in Burlington is an IIA failure! I regard
that IIA failure to be more important than the failure to elect the
Condorcet winner. Of course in that case if the "Condorcet loser"
(actually the "pairwise losing candidate") had been eliminated instead
of eliminating the Condorcet winner, then the Condorcet winner would
have won.

In other words, it was the presence of an irrelevant candidate (the
pairwise losing candidate) in the top 3 that blocked the Condorcet
winner from reaching the top 2.

The elimination of "pairwise losing candidates" is why the RCIPE method
performs better than IRV.

And because the Condorcet-Kemeny method looks so deeply into ALL the
ballot preferences on all the ballots, I suspect that it eliminates
"irrelevant alternatives" better than a method that has a zero failure
rate for clone independence.

Also consider that when an election has rock-paper-scissors (Condorcet)
cycles (that involve the most popular candidates), ignoring irrelevant
alternatives helps the method deal with near clones.

Admittedly I'm less concerned about the handling of *exact* clones
because those are almost impossible in a real election.

Yet if an election did have almost exact clones, I'm willing to accept
electing the wrong clone. That's better than if a method gets "confused"
by an irrelevant alternative.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy