[EM] Ballot Data Format

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu May 27 16:09:35 PDT 2021

There is a recognised format for the publication of the full ballot data for STV-PR elections, i.e. BLT format, first described in this paper (at section 3.1):

Hill, Wichmann & Woodall (1987) "Algorithm 123 - Single Transferable Vote by Meek's method"  http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.NSF/Files/meekm/$file/meekm.pdf

The format is quite “primitive” (stream of numbers, with minimal text and no explanation) because it predates even the DOS operating system.

The full ballot data, in this preference profile format, have been published by the Returning Officers for every multi-member ward in every one of the 32 Local Authorities in Scotland for the STV-PR elections held in 2012 and 2017.  The data for the wards in the City of Glasgow were published following the 2007 elections although that was not then a legal requirement.

Unfortunately, there is (as yet) no central depository of these STV-PR ballot data, but the BLT files are available among the “election results” on the respective 32 Council websites.

James Gilmour

Edinburgh, Scotland