[EM] RCIPE version 2

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Thu Jul 29 10:19:52 PDT 2021

Dear Richard Fobes, the VoteFair guy, and all at election methods,

Personal family misfortunes prevent me from giving a proper reply.
I believe I say something about Kemeny in an appendix to my Smashwords free ebook,
FAB STV: Four Averages Binomial Single Transferable Vote.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/806030

The system is fully described in the second part, but there are plenty of summaries, from simple list of attributes, to summary convenient for those familiar with Meek method.

I may mention what the system looks like from the voters point of view. It could be any preference voting ballot. But it counts differently. Last preferences help as much to exclude candidates, as first preferences help to elect candidates. That is to say it is a binomial count.
It is not necessary to fill in all the preferences. Vacant preferences count towards a NOTA quota, leaving a seat unfilled.

Circumstances permitting, I hope to say more about your post and others.

Regards
Richard Lung.

On 28 Jul 2021, at 4:43 am, Richard, the VoteFair guy <electionmethods at votefair.org> wrote:

On 7/25/2021 2:00 PM, Richard Lung wrote:
> ... eliminating candidates, during the count, loses voting information, before the count is over. ...

My favorite way to count ranked-choice ballots for a single-winner election is the Condorcet-Kemeny method.

Not only does it not eliminate candidates one at a time, it also does not identify the first-place winner as a first step, and the second-place winner as a second step, etc.  Instead it isn't finished until the entire sequence from most popular, second-most popular, and so on down to least popular has been determined.

> I repeat, in case you missed it, science demands one truth (to aspire to) not two. Therefore an election count and an exclusion/elimination count must be symmetrical. Call it symmetrical count requirement. But that is a binomial count.

The Condorcet-Kemeny method is symmetrical.

> Whereas, FAB STV is the whole caboodle perhaps relevant to data mining. This system is monotonic, not vulnerable to strategic shuffling the preference orders. It avoids premature exclusion, and indeed premature election! It entirely avoids later harm, not just for transfer of surplus preferences.
> It meets the Laplace condition of weighting a whole range of preferences in order of importance, unlike Condorcet pairing, whether or not the pairs are weighted in relative importance.
> FAB STV recognises elections as statistical estimates of representation, and employs up to four averages to maximise accuracy.

I have read your earlier posts but I don't recall seeing a description of your FAB STV method.

I looked at Electowiki but it's not there (under that name).

I'd be happy to look at FAB STV if you can point me to a definition of the method.

> It accepts the "Impossibility" of a deterministic election result, and moves on. I beseech you all to do the same!

Remember that the RCIPE method (version 1 or 2) is a stepping stone that allows reaching better methods such as the Condorcet-Kemeny method, and beyond to PR methods.

Regarding the beyond part, my VoteFair Ranking system includes a two-seat kind of "STV," and that can be extended to a higher number of seats. That's why I'm curious to read a definition of your FAB STV counting method.

To put things into perspective, consider a metaphor. IRV is like a tricycle for tots who aren't yet ready for a bicycle. The Condorcet methods are like a bicycle, very useful in many situations, but they can't do everything. RCIPE is like training wheels for the bicycle. When enough voters learn how to vote using ranked-choice ballots and RCIPE counting then they will be ready to move on to Condorcet methods and beyond.

Richard Lung, thank you for your thoughts.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy