[EM] Best IRV Tweak

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 13:42:44 PDT 2021

In some sense all "tweaks" are quite ok. If we want the method to be Condorcet compliant, and it is, any such method probably works quite well in practice.

I mean that in most typical large real life elections there is a Condorcet winner, and with sincere votes all Condorcet compliant methods pick the same winner. And if there is no Condorcet winner, the method probably picks a reasonably good candidate anyway. In addition to this there could be also some (rational and/or irrational) strategic voting. But also after considering these problems, differences between different Condorcet methods might still be minimal in practice.

The conclusion might thus be: any Condorcet compliant method is likely to work quite well in practical real life elections, and is likely to meet our (practical) requirements quite well. Also finer tuning is possible, but in light of what I wrote above, that might be more for artistic reasons than for practical reasons :-) . So, the question is: can we say that all Condorcet compliant methods are quite good in practice, and therefore having to "tweak" because of external requirements is quite ok? (assuming that Condorcet compliance is among our requirements in the first place)

BR, Juho