[EM] Best IRV Tweak

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Tue Jul 6 17:40:22 PDT 2021

On 7/6/2021 11:59 AM, Susan Simmons wrote:
 > While the pairwise win matrix has more than one remaining entry, wipe
 > out the row and column of the candidate whose row has the smallest
 > remaining entry.
 >
 > Under this simple method, would NYC still be bogged down in counting?

What you are describing sounds similar to Instant Pairwise Elimination
(IPE), except reversing the order of looking for the highest opposition
count versus the lowest support count.

https://electowiki.org/wiki/Instant_Pairwise_Elimination

The extra step of looking for Condorcet losers is needed because the
Condorcet loser does not always have the lowest support count.

The winner is not always the Condorcet winner, so it's not a Condorcet
method.

This approach of using pairwise counts is "precinct summable" so each
precinct can convert the ballot rankings into pairwise counts, send that
table of numbers to multiple locations, and summing those tables yields
the (same) results in multiple counting locations.

What's bogging down the counting in NYC is several complications. Notice
that most journalists are only reporting first-choice counts because
that's what they know how to do.

Also consider that government counts in the U.S. often defer to a
consortium of journalists who collaborate to ensure that different news
sources are not reporting different election results. ("It's complicated.")

The method you suggest is very close to what I've been using as an
approximation for the Condorcet-Kemeny method for cases that involve,
say, 50 or more choices (which means candidates if it's an election).

Yes it's much better than IRV. And it's easy to explain:

Each ballot gives a candidate the number of upvotes equal to the number
of remaining candidates who are ranked lower than that candidate.

(Unmarked candidates are virtually marked at the lowest preference level.)

I happen to be in the process of creating an animation for this
pairwise-support method, where the candidate with the lowest support
count is eliminated -- except when there is a "pairwise losing
candidate" (aka Condorcet loser), in which case the latter is eliminated
instead.

If you happen to have a good name for this method, please share it.

Thanks for pushing forward with election-method reforms that voters can
understand!

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy