[EM] Best IRV Tweak

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 12:28:12 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 2:11 PM Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 12:11 PM Susan Simmons <suzerainsimmons at outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, Kristofer, specifically it is Benham's "Raynaud(Gross Loser)" the
>> version of Reynaud that Chris Benham devised to satisfy Plurality.
>>
>> Let's call it BRGL to avoid the question of Reynaud versus Raynaud.
>>

> Can also be called "Maximin"... I think... To me it looks like a mirror of
> Minimax (using votes instead of margins): The winner is the candidate whose
> lowest number of votes is higher. Maybe there is a subtle difference that I
> haven't detected yet, BRGL = maximin. Though that's not how I would choose
> to explain it to the public. The usual definition is clearer, especially to
> someone who already knows IRV: "remove the candidate with fewest votes in
> any pairwise contest and repeat".

Ugh... after I hit "send" I realized that this is wrong. In an election
where voters are not required to do a full ranking, it is possible that
removing the candidate with the fewest votes 'X' also removes the pairwise
contest with the next-lowest number of votes:

5 --- A > B
2 --- A > C
3 --- B > A
4 --- B > C
1 --- C > A
6 --- C > B

The "maximin" winner is B but the BRGL winner is A. So nevermind.

Daniel.