[EM] Scatter plot of clone independence versus IIA

Markus Schulze markus.schulze8 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 22:47:07 PDT 2021

Dear Richard,

you wrote (1 July 2021):

 > I am not understanding what you are suggesting.
 >
 > It sounds like you want to sub-divide the fourth category
 > into these two sub-categories:
 >
 > * A wins before cloning, A(1) wins after cloning, and
 > A(1) wins if only the clones participate.
 >
 > * A wins before cloning, A(1) wins after cloning, but
 > A(1) does not win if only the clones participate.
 >
 > Do we need to distinguish between these two cases?

Yes, that's what I am suggesting.

It should make no difference whether we

(1) apply the election method to all candidates at once

or

(2) shrink all candidates A(1),...,A(n) of a set of clones
to a single candidate A, apply the election method to this
reduced set of candidates and then -- when candidate A is
elected -- unshrink candidate A and apply the election
method to the candidates A(1),...,A(n) only.

Markus Schulze