[EM] Scatter plot of clone independence versus IIA

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Jul 1 17:32:04 PDT 2021

On 6/27/2021 11:15 AM, Markus Schulze wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I recommend the following formulation for the fourth category:
>
> Suppose A won before cloning.
> Suppose A is cloned to A(1),...,A(n).
> Suppose A(1) wins when the used election method is applied only to
> {A(1),...,A(n)}.
> Then A(1) wins after.
>
> Markus Schulze

I am not understanding what you are suggesting.

It sounds like you want to sub-divide the fourth category into these two
sub-categories:

* A wins before cloning, A(1) wins after cloning, and A(1) wins if only
the clones participate.

* A wins before cloning, A(1) wins after cloning, but A(1) does not win
if only the clones participate.

Do we need to distinguish between these two cases?

It seems to me that any of the clones winning instead of the original
similar candidate is a case of the clone displacing the original candidate.

Richard Fobes