[EM] Just to let you know ....

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Jan 31 19:18:06 PST 2021

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 14:25:55 -0500 (EST)
> From: robert bristow-johnson <rbj at audioimagination.com>
> To: "election-methods at electorama.com"
>         <election-methods at electorama.com>
> Subject: [EM] Just to let you know that I got into my first good
>         fight...
>
> ... with Terry Bouricius, who is the very person that told me about this
> mailing list and had posted to this list about a decade ago.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb7ACMAkc54
>
> If you scroll past the FairVote dreck to 32:17, you'll see where I make
> the case that it failed us in Burlington Vermont in 2009.

Excellent, thorough, clear, explanation of why IRV failed to deliver as
promised in Burlington in 2009 ... not a fluke, but the inevitable result
of eliminating fall-back choices before they have a chance to serve their
purported purpose ... convincing evidence that IRV/RCV is not good enough
to replace FPP PLurality.

If only Robert Bristow-Johnson had been allowed a few more minutes he could
have introduced some of the simple solutions to the deficiencies of IRV
that are well known to EM list participants.

Some IRV supporters excuse IRV by saying "no method's perfect." True, just
like no internal combustion engine has 100 percent efficiency ... but that
doesn't mean we can never improve on Henry Ford's Model T.