[EM] Calculated failure/success rates using randomized ballots and candidates

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Mon Jan 4 21:12:49 PST 2021

On 1/4/2021 3:03 PM, Jan Kok wrote:
> Please consider merging your code with Warren D. Smith's election
> simulator available at https://www.rangevoting.org/IEVS/IEVS.c

Thanks for the suggestion.  I share your desire for compatible software
tools for analyzing and implementing better election methods.

However, I looked at the IEVS.c code and see that it serves a different
purpose from what my code is intended to accomplish.  And it's
incompatible with what I think we need.  Specifically:

IEVS does not include the STAR (Score Then Automatic Runoff) voting
method, which is surprising since the STAR method is based on Score
ballots, which is what Warren Smith favors.  I'll let someone else who
is already familiar with IEVS conventions add that missing method.

IEVS does not include the Condorcet-Kemeny method, and adding that
method to the IEVS code would not be simple.

I believe that separating ballot-generation software from vote-counting
software is very important for these reasons:

* Allows tech-savvy voters to test vote-counting software for the
purpose of deciding whether the vote-counting software is ready to be
used for real surveys, elections, etc.  The IEVS program does not have
this separation between method calculations and the generation of test
cases.

* My vote-counting code accepts ballot codes that indicate actual
ballots from an actual survey, election, etc., which contrasts with the
IEVS code that generates ballots internally.

* IEVS does not allow a ballot to rank multiple candidates at the same
preference level, yet this is needed for real voting situations.  My
vote-counting software handles these ballots, so I don't see value in
stripping out this important code to fit into the IEVS framework.

* IEVS code does not fully handle resolving ties, which is yet another
important part of calculating results for real surveys, elections, etc.

* IEVS can simulate dishonest voters by using the candidate input order
(from most popular to least popular) to decide how to "mark" ballots
dishonestly.  This is great for academic analysis.  But this feature
destroys the trustworthiness of the IEVS vote-counting code for use in
real surveys, elections, etc.

Yes, the IEVS code is very useful for academic analysis.

Yet I believe we need more ready-to-use "real-life" vote-counting
software -- and external/separate testing software -- because that
combination provides an important bridge to getting better methods
adopted in real surveys, elections, etc.

Richard Fobes