[EM] 25th anniversary of the election-methods list coming up....

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 20:43:33 PST 2021

Hi everyone,

Nearly 25 years ago, I sent the inaugural message to the "EM" list
(see [1]; I've also quoted the nearly 25-year-old message below).
That was back in the pre-Dreamhost days.  I migrated the mailing list
to Dreamhost.com in March 2003 (see [2]), but I think the more
significant anniversary is this coming next week (on Monday, February
15).  That was February 15, 1996 was when discussions started
happening on the new election-methods list.

The election-methods mailing list has changed a LOT since 1996.  Back
in 1996, I had only just learned about the Condorcet winner criterion
(or the "CWC"[3]).  Oh to be young again; I had also only recently
learned that "alternative vote" (as they call it in Australia) was not
Condorcet winner compliant.  Moreover, Mike Ossipoff had convinced me
that it was important on the "elections-reform" mailing list (or as we
called it back in the day: the "ER-list").  The ER-list[4] was the
sister list (brother list?  sibling list?) of the EM-list, and it was
the older sibling.  ER used its size and age advantage against EM
quite a bit in the early days.  Now ER has gone missing, and EM is
turning 25-years-old, so EM isn't as worried about being beat up by
it's older sibling.  :-D

The reason for the "EM" and "ER" nicknames: the mailing list software
the respective mailing lists used back in 1996 would preface the
subject line with a prefex in square brackets.  Mail to the EM list
would have "[EM]" prepended to the subject line of every message.
Mail to the ER list would have "[ER]" prepended.  Advanced mailing
list software would recognize square-bracketed prefixes in the subject
line, and not add to them.  So that made it possible for people to add
mailing lists to the discussion, and many discussions would spill over
from one mailing list to the next.  (for example, a heated discussion
between Donald Saari, Mike Ossipoff and other members of the EM
list[5]).  Cc'ing a second mailing list was really common in 1996;
these days, we insist on using online forums.

Anyway, what should we do to celebrate February 15?  I suppose I
should probably at least address some of the weird list issues that
Kristofer Munsterhjelm, but it seems like we should do something a
little more fun.

Rob Lanphier
robla at robla.net
roblan at gmail.com
roblan at protonmail.com
...and many other email addresses that are overwhelmed with spam

[1] http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/1996-February/065327.html
[2] http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2003-March/074889.html
[3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_winner_criterion
[4]:
[5]: http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com//1996-October/thread.html#66053

p.s. Below is the first message to the election-methods mailing list,
sent on Thursday evening, February 15, 1996.  At least, this is the
first one there's a record of.  There might be a prize to the first
person who finds the spelling error in my 1996 email (then again,
there might not be!!

----