[EM] RCV Challenge

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Fri Dec 24 22:29:04 PST 2021

I'm just a Condorcet guy.  Everyone's vote counts the same.  If a simple majority of voters agree that A is preferred to B, then when at all possible, B is not elected.  After that add whatever contingency you think best for the case of a cycle.  I, personally, believe that cycles will be very rare and perhaps the simplest process in lieu of a Condorcet winner would be the plurality winner of first-preference votes.  I know everyone will say that's the worst, most gameable Condorcet "completion process", but I think in a government election that the rules should be well known and well understood.

(1) The candidate, defined as the Condorcet winner, is elected if the rankings on all of the ballots indicate that this one candidate defeats, with a simple majority of voter preferences, every other candidate when compared in turn with each other individual candidate. A selected candidate defeats another candidate by a simple majority when the number of ballots marked ranking the selected candidate higher than the other candidate exceeds the number of ballots marked to the contrary.

(2) If no Condorcet winner exists in step (1), then the candidate with the plurality of first preferences is elected.

Sorry to be so pedantic.