[EM] Proportional Representation In The USA

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Wed Apr 21 16:11:40 PDT 2021

Jan, thank you for your Wikipedia edits!

I did not see the changes initially so I used the "history" tab to find
them.

The opening paragraph of the "open list" article still contains the
phrase "preference vote" in bold.  Yet it is not a link.

And the words "select individuals" in the prior sentence does not
clarify that the ballot is sometimes approval-like (one mark per
candidate), sometimes a voter-written number(?), yet never a ranking ballot.

I suggest adding a new section (within the "open list" article) titled
"Preference vote" that explains the term from a ballot-marking
perspective.  The remainder of the article is clear about how they are
counted.

Then the "Preferential voting" article can link to that section instead
of to the entire "open list" article.

Based on your clarifications I've updated my PDF document with these
wordings for "Open party list":

Ballot simplicity:  "Somewhat, favorite party plus approval marks for
limited number of candidates"

Counting simplicity:  "Yes, seats assigned proportionally, party list is
counted in various simple ways"

Of course it would be more accurate to write "it's complicated" but for
this document's purpose I think it's OK.  If not, please tell me.

Again, thank you Jan!

Richard Fobes