[EM] Heitzig consensus and brinkmanship

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Jul 6 18:20:36 PDT 2020

 Hi Kristofer, I have a feeling that in a setting so contentious that a faction would considermaking such threats, the odds of achieving a consensus result are already really small.I think factions would always doubt that the other factions are giving up enough. I picturean informal pre-vote debate about where the consensus should be. The mechanismmight push selection towards the median voter (unless in practice the mechanism hasso little chance of operating that people forget about it), but people wouldn't agree wherethe median is. So I think people would assume consensus is impossible.
If the number of voters is small and known, maybe it would be different. But I'm reallynot sure... Suppose via PR the voters elect five representative voters to play this game.Five seems like enough where a spectrum of views might be represented, where thevoter on one extreme really doesn't want to see his counterpart win. But it's easy to imagine that the median option of the five offers the same utility to the extremes as rolling the dice. I could also imagine political value to refusing to endorse the consensusand hanging on to a chance to win.
Maybe I've overlooked something though.
Going off topic, the idea I like here is to require each voter to nominate a majority ofthe voters (as though they would form a government). The most-nominated voterdetermines the outcome of the question. In this way, defection requires a potentiallydangerous form of burial.
Kevin