[EM] Arrow's theorem and cardinal voting systems (Juho Laatu)

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Jan 29 23:15:08 PST 2020

Forest,

> These considerations make it clear that for optimal results relative
> to many applications the method must take into account preference
> intensities, which is why my favorite methods tend to be based on
> rankings with approval cutoffs if not outright score ballots.

Is electing the CW (based on sincere full ranking) in your view always
the "optimal result"?

Say the sincere ratings scores are

49  A99 >   C1 >  B0
03  C99 >   A98 > B0
48  B99 >  C2 > A1

If  we don't like the idea of electing  "utility loser" CWs, why even
collect the information telling us they exist?  I don't understand why
the quite simple Smith//Approval(ranked above bottom) doesn't
have some traction.  Under that method these voters would presumably
just vote:

49  A
03  C>A
48  B

A is the voted CW and the "utility winner".  No problem.

Chris Benham