[EM] VoteFair Ranking software version 6.0 in C++ with MIT license

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Jan 23 09:53:58 PST 2020

On 1/22/2020 3:49 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 > Given this definition, there are two possibilities. Either the VoteFair
 > software implements the VoteFair method, or it does not. ...

If the default settings are used, and if the number of candidates is no
more than the check-all-sequence-scores setting (which I think is 6),
then the software implements the VoteFair popularity ranking method,
which yields the same results as the Condorcet-Kemeny method.

In other words you are not allowing for a third possibility, which -- of
course -- depends on the number of candidates.

 > ... It seems that you instead are saying that, as you
 > define the VoteFair ranking, it does agree with Kemeny all the time, but
 > the software doesn't.

Yes, this is the third possibility. The software CAN always yield the
same results -- simply by limiting the number of candidates it can
handle (or, up to a limit based on computing power, increasing the
number of candidates checked by the full/slow method).

 > Could you give me a definition of the VoteFair method itself? Without
 > knowing what bit is the software and what bit is the method, it's
 > difficult to get further. For instance, it would be hard to know whether
 > the results that the VoteFair software gives when Kemeny orderings are
 > tied is a property of the method or of the software, because the
 > definition of the Kemeny method itself doesn't say what should happen in
 > such a case.

Originally I wrote the definition of VoteFair popularity ranking (which
at that time I called VoteFair ranking) on Wikipedia, and Markus Schulze
re-named the article to the "Kemeny-Young method" claiming that the two
methods are the same. So the definition there matches VoteFair
popularity ranking because I wrote it.

Yes, the issue of how to handle Condorcet-cycle ties is not stated by
John Kemeny (as far as I know), and I have not explicitly stated how
such ties are handled in VoteFair popularity ranking. If I did make such
a statement then you or others might argue that the two methods are not
the same.

The software does attempt to handle ties, either to use a tie-breaking
criteria or to declare an official tie. In the latter case, the VoteFair
approach presumably matches the Kemeny approach. In the former case the
candidates in the cycle can be re-sequenced and the sequence sums yield
the same highest sum, yet SOME of those "tied" sequences can yield
different sums. If this seems complex it's because it IS complex. It
took lots of work to get the software to handle these and other "edge"
cases. This approach is unlike what many software developers do, which
is to dismiss edge cases with some kind of error message. In other
words, my software looks deeper into the "tie."

So, keeping in mind that neither John Kemeny nor I have officially
stated how ties (in the sequence sums) are to be handled, both methods
are mathematically equivalent.

I avoid using the word "same" because John Kemeny defines the sequence
score in terms of counting votes that OPPOSE a candidate (and finding
the minimum score), whereas VoteFair popularity ranking (which I came up
with without knowing about the Kemeny method) defines the sequence score
in terms of counting votes that SUPPORT a candidate (and finding the
maximum score).

If this still isn't clear, please keep asking for clarifications. Thank
you for seeking to understand this method.

Richard Fobes