[EM] re Burlington

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Fri May 24 06:36:28 PDT 2019

Thanks for your interest.
The link for FAB STV: Four Averages Binomial Single Transferable Vote is:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/806030

It can also be obtained from the various national outlets of Amazon,
subject to their minimum price policy of a dollar. (Smashwords is free.)

The first part is for the general reader (mainly). In part two, for
those familiar with Meek method, there is a chapter that follows on from
that system. And there are starter explanations elsewhere. But most of
the second part is a detailed step by step explanation of a system that
grows exponentially more complicated with higher orders of this binomial
extension of STV (according to a non-commutative expansion of the
binomial theorem).

First order (binomial, or both election and exclusion counted) STV is
probably considerably simpler than Meek method: it consists "only" of a
rational election count averaged with a (symmetrical) rational exclusion
count, both based on keep value counting.
In symbols, first order STV is the simplest binomial formula, (P + U) =
(P + U)^1, where P stands for Preference election and U stands for
Unpreference exclusion.
Meek and traditional hand-counted STV classify as zero order STV or
uninomial STV forms (in my system).

FAB STV works the same way for single member elections. The candidates
are ordered by the smallness of their keep values. The first of the Four
Averages is (my invention of) the Harmonic Mean quota. This is the
average of the Hare and Droop quotas, which are harmonic series, whose
average is found by their harmonic mean: votes divided by (number of
seats plus one half).
The need for this complication is that the Droop quota, which
historically supplanted the Hare quota, to make small constituency
elections possible, is undemocratic, in that it allows the election of
candidates to be governed by one with a statistically insignificant
chance few votes more than another.

Whichever quota is used, it should not alter the order of candidates
election. All it does is adjust the over-all level of the keep values
for the candidates, raising or lowering the general bar of election.

To clarify on your last question, FAB STV complies with "Later no harm".
There are no multiple votes to more or less count against each other. It
is a single transferable vote strictly according to order of preference,
always subject to rational keep-value counting.

from
Richard Lung.