[EM] Defeat strength, Winning Votes vs. Margins, what to do with equally-ranks on ballot?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon May 20 18:48:45 PDT 2019

 Hi Robert,
In a WV method you can't trace beatpaths through a loss. So if A defeats B you can only trace from A to B, and the strength of the defeat is equal to the number of voters who preferred A>B. (If you added half a vote to A in the case of an equal ranking between A and B, this gives the same effect as margins, assuming you applied this rule everywhere.)
Normally these methods do not show a difference based on whether an equal ranking was explicit, vs. implied via truncation. I would say this is mostly because explicit vs. implicit ranking isn't really native/inherent to the idea of Condorcet. But I'd suggest also because a distinction in treatment doesn't help the voter. A "half vote" treatment turns equal ranking into a "neither here nor there" strategy, where ranking your favorite candidates equal-top is prima facie not optimal regardless of your priorities.
Kevin