[EM] Best Ever Single Winner Method?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu May 16 07:37:26 PDT 2019

Hybrid method, using runoffs. I'm not sure the complication is
necessary, over simple Asset, and "reasonable" is for the voters to
judge, in any Asset method.

But this is a good method.

The best voting systems are not deterministic.

Runoff voting is the widest- used "advanced method." In fact, it's very
old, standard democratic process simply keeps voting until someone gets
a majority. No eliminations. IRV went around killing a method superior
to IRV (because of what actually happens in runoffs, and especially if
write-ins are allowed in a runoff. Simple top two runoff without
write-ins is guaranteed to find a simple and meaningless majority.
People are suckers for words with the core meaning gutted.

The runoff can be avoided if preferred and acceptable coincide, and
acceptable is a majority. But runoffs, especially with write-is allowed,
validate that a majority acceptance is informed, not merely an artifact
of appearances in the primary.

I still prefer to handle single-winner elections with an Asset Assembly,
majority of "effective proxies" required for completion. The entire
electorate is represented in the Electoral College and could negotiate a
winner. (The Asset Assembly is a standard assembly, each seat elected by
a quota of transferred or direct votes. I expect that in mature Asset,
almost all effective votes will be indirect, transferred, from people
the voters actually know and can communicate with. This is a solution to
the problem of scale in democracy.)