[EM] Best Single-Winner Method: RR vs. MJ

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 13:25:41 PDT 2019

Steve:

Relevant Ratings is a ratings method, not a rankings method, as documented
on electowiki (https://electowiki.org/wiki/Relevant_rating).  My example
was given with rankings for illustrative purposes only.  In the actual
example, any candidate ranked highest should be assumed to be given the
highest possible grade of Excellent, next highest as Very Good, etc.,
though without loss of generality, the ratings scale could be truncated
down to 3 slots.

So your modified example is not the same as what I presented, and one might
view your presentation of my position as a straw man, which is not
conducive to productive discourse.  Please try again, using the following
CSV ratings, with 5 = excellent, 4 = very good, etc.  The first line of the
file is a header, indicating that the first column is the number of ballots
with the subsequent ratings, while the second through 6th columns are
ratings on that ballot type for the correspondingly named candidate:

#ballots, A, B, C, D, E
46, 5, 0, 0, 0, 0
03, 5, 4, 0, 0, 0
25, 0, 4, 5, 0, 0
23, 0, 4, 0, 5, 0

with the addition of 3 ballots voting for an "irrelevant" candidate:

03, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

The point Chris and I have been trying to make is not whether the voters
are using the expressivity of ratings correctly, but rather, what could
happen if a small proportion of "irrelevant" or protest voters joined the
election?  Does your method handle that in a robust way?

I think what you actually demonstrated that MJ can only deliver reasonable
results for this example when interpreting A's victory before adding E
votes in the worst possible light.

And again, I think it is worth considering whether Majority Judgment or
even Relevant Rating is able to determine the candidate closest to the
centroid of voting sentiment (my own preferred goal for a single-winner
method).  I am leaning toward Chris's suggestion of pre-filtering the
candidates to the Smith Set before looking for the highest rated candidate,
based on the following example from the Wikipedia page on Majority Judgment
(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority_judgment#Outcome_in_political_environments
):

101: A > B > C > D > E > F > G
101: B > A = C > D > E > F > G
101: C > B = D > A = E > F > G
050: D > C = E > B = F > A = G
099: E > D = F > C = G > B > A
099: F > E = G > D > C > B > A
099: G > F > E > D > C > B > A

which can also be written as

101: A:6, B:5, C:4, D:3, E:2, F:1, G:0
101: A:5, B:6, C:5, D:4, E:3, F:2, G:1
101: A:4, B:5, C:6, D:5, E:4, F:3, G:2
050: A:3, B:4, C:5, D:6, E:5, F:4, G:3
099: A:2, B:3, C:4, D:5, E:6, F:5, G:4
099: A:1, B:2, C:3, D:4, E:5, F:6, G:5
099: A:0, B:1, C:2, D:3, E:4, F:5, G:6

or, in CSV format,

###, A, B, C, D, E, F, G
101,6,5,4,3,2,1,0
101,5,6,5,4,3,2,1
101,4,5,6,5,4,3,2
050,3,4,5,6,5,4,3
099,2,3,4,5,6,5,4
099,1,2,3,4,5,6,5
099,0,1,2,3,4,5,6

If your goal is a simple majority, both Majority Judgment and Relevant
Rating will chose the Left candidate, "B", over the Center Left candidate,
"C", even though C is preferred by more voters to any other candidate and
has a higher total score.  So B may be able to govern using only simple
majority votes of a legislature, but any decisions requiring more general
consensus will be more difficult.

To summarize, I think that we are arguing two different points completely.
I have expressed a preference for single winner methods that determine the
candidate closest to the centroid of the population (that is, minimizing
the sum of the distance squared from all voters to the winning candidate),
and I am willing to consider any method that is able to achieve that in a
robust and strategy resistant manner, while you appear to be arguing the
position that finding a rating that is supported by a bare majority of
voters is the only possible metric for judging a candidate, even when that
leads to a winning candidate who is the strongest member of a majority
cooalition rather than the centroid candidate.  Have i assessed that
correctly?