[EM] (3) Best Single-Winner Method

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 22:24:12 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019, 18:51 robert bristow-johnson <rbj at audioimagination.com>
wrote:

> Subject: Re: [EM] (3) Best Single-Winner Method
> From: "Ted Stern" <dodecatheon at gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, June 17, 2019 5:24 pm
> To: "steve bosworth" <stevebosworth at hotmail.com>
> Cc: "election-methods at lists.electorama.com" <
> election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
>
> > I would certainly favor Majority Judgment over many other options, if
> there
> > were no other choice, though I'd prefer if it included a runoff against
> the
> > Condorcet Winner if one exists.
>

> I know that i am just stuck in Condorcet land and I haven't completely
> groked MJ (because i don't like the ballot), but can you guys help me
> understand how **any** candidate beats the Condorcet Winner in a runoff?

Voters are not rational. Also, in a runoff, they are not necessarily the
same voters.

If you have an election method and subject that winner of that method to
> the CW (whom must have been chosen from ranked-ballot results) in a runoff,
> does not always the CW win?  If so, then why not just elect the CW?

Indeed, that would be the case. But I think voters may not realize the
ramifications of their selections in early use of any new method, so an
option to reconsider might be beneficial.